AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How About The Tractor Pullers on Here
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

shorty1
Posted 12/30/2020 06:05 (#8707553 - in reply to #8705272)
Subject: RE: How About The Tractor Pullers on Here

In 1964 the first pull I can remember was held at our county fair on blacktop.The next a little more organized on dirt in front of grandstand. A stone bolt type skip with people getting on with a speed limit.As years progressed and H.P. increased the mechanical sleds were introduced.The first in our area was the Mule Skinner owned by Stan Burton of Williams.We would have 50+ tractors in the 15000# class plus all the others.Many farmers brought their tractors and the pull would last at least 4 hours and the bragging rights for a year went to the winner.Wasnt long V-8 chevys showed up in Farmall Hs then it took off.The locals didnt pull anymore and horsepower was key.Ioday it costs over $300K to field a competitive Super Stock and modified run anything from 5 hemis to tank and aircraft motors.Antique tractors are still pulling but not appealing to a paying crowd.Truck pulling appeals to a younger group.Speeds of up 30MPH are common until the plate drops and stops everyone with in a few feet.I know some top pullers and $1500 tops to win is about it.I take care of track prep at our fair pull and the crowd loves the few locals that pull win lose or break.Like about every motor sport I have been involved in last 60 years started out fun until it cost to much for average guy to compete.I still pull a stock diesel 4x4 pickup and that is still fun
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)