AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building a fertilizer rig from rodweeder, lots of ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

silagehauler
Posted 4/20/2009 11:12 (#686795)
Subject: Building a fertilizer rig from rodweeder, lots of ?

Here's the deal I have a nice 42' flex king rodweeder sitting in the fence row out back. My idea is to take all the rod and assiociated equipment off and make a rig for banding liquid fertilizer pre-plant mainly for wheat and also proso millet.

What would be the best spacing this rig? I was thinking 10 to 12". Is it better to have a narrow spacing at 12" to keep any one area from getting to hot? Or maybe a wider spacing of 20" or so to minimize seed contact? Maybe a spacing twice of what the drill and gps everthing so between every row of wheat is a band of fertilizer. Be really hard to do unless drill and rig were the same width.

A couple of concerns of using the rod weeder frame to. As it stands now the wheels are out in front of the toolbar a little. I am somewhat concerned about depth control with it, but I think that is a minor problem. I am more concerned about sufficient weight make this go in the ground. Will be going into CRP, so the potential is there ti have to go in some hard ground.

What is a good coulter to use? Been leaning toward the blu-jet coulters so far. Yetter looks kind of light. Something that pivots would be ideal.

Kind of related to the above paragraph, maybe liqiud is not the best thing to use? I like the idea of shooting in liquid in a no-till enviroment, and from a flow control and swath control view I like liquid. But maybe dry would be the way to fly from a cost standpoint and could work just as well as the liquid. Maybe a coulter that could be set up for liquid of dry would be the way to go. Pull an aircart and blow it on.

Lots Q's, hopefully somebody has a few A's. TIA guys.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)