AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

single pass seeding questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 4/19/2009 22:20 (#686279 - in reply to #686264)
Subject: Re: single pass seeding questions

Liquid is sure handy for measuring and applying. I won't touch NH3. Dry is harder to measure and put into the ground, though planters with dry fertilizer built in did it OK with a coulter. A one pass rig with Dawn Pluribus to work the row and mix in the dry fertilizer from the air cart and the planter drawn or mounted behind that would do dry well. Might be a 60' long train to turn at the ends of the row though.

On my one pass no till rig, I had to fill the little fertilizer tank at about 1-3/4 acre intervals and that sure did slow planting. Actually I could only use half a tank in the three point sprayer and still have steering control. I spent more time handling 32% than I did planting, it seemed like. I was able to haul just the right amount of 32% to do the whole place with 50 pounds of N in one trip to the supplier who had priced and accepted payment months earlier. That year I didn't have to take delivery in the winter when I bought the 32%. I side dressed the rest of the 32% later. I've posted pictures of my scheme several times even in the last week or so. It was an efficient way to use nitrogen raising corn, though it was slow at planting.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)