AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pouring concrete this time of year?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

BOGTROTTER
Posted 11/28/2020 14:44 (#8630737 - in reply to #8630497)
Subject: RE: Pouring concrete this time of year?

Kingston,Mi
Attached is Michigan's cold weather concrete plan, We always left the excavation above the final grade and finished just prior to pouring. This procedure helps with the base temp. by removing any frozen soil and exposing non-frozen (but cold subsoil). When we poured the floor in my shop, it was projected to possibly freeze so we were prepared with 6 mill poly sheeting and a roll of straw. Spread the straw over the finished concrete, placed the poly sheet over it then laid all the 2x4's that would eventually be added to the walls to hold the poly on the straw. I believe I waited for 7 days to uncover and did so at noon hour so that the difference between the floor and the outside air was at a minimum. I placed a soil thermometer in a sealed off drinking straw at the edge of the floor where i could monitor the temp daily. I also had a thermocouple recording the temp. in the same location. Straw and poly cover should extend beyond the actual pour so as to provide protection to the edges of the pour.

Edit: A easy way to gain some cheap heat in the concrete is to use a finer grind in the cement portion of the concrete and to add a bag per yard. End result is a rapid increase in concrete temp. (safely) without the corrosive effect of calcium chloride. I believe both are mentioned in the cold weather concrete plan plus using heated water and heated sand and aggregate.

Edited by BOGTROTTER 11/28/2020 14:50

Attachments
----------------
Attachments nrcs141p2_023746.doc (89KB - 46 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)