AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

8 row corn head on Flagship
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

johnny skeptical
Posted 11/16/2020 13:45 (#8610316 - in reply to #8610236)
Subject: RE: 8 row corn head on Flagship

n.c.iowa

For example we ran a 35’ 2020 with air reel, and a 8row head on 7010, it handled the 8 row real good, the 35’ bean head okay.

we then traded the 7010 off for a 7120, again it handled the 8row real good, so-so on the 35’ platform, until we put a tune in it.
 After the tune we bought a 12 row chopping head, it handled it pretty good, the real issue was lower sieve area compared to the class 8-9 combines.

this year we traded the 7120 which we had for about 5 years for a 7240, it’s got the same sieve area as the class 8-9 combines.

I talked to the former owner before we bought, he indicated that it was the first flagship combine he’s owned(he’s owned just about all the class 7’s in each series) that had enough power out of the box.

that things a beast, it run the 35’ platform head as fast as we want to go in decently dry 65bu. beans. It runs the 12 row chopping head at 4-4.5mph in 200+ corn with ease.

I can’t even imagine what the heck the class 8 and 9 machines bring to the table........I think with a 8 row you’d just have to find a speed you were comfortable with and adjust the machine to run at that amount of crop flow.

when we had the 8row on the 7120 we were jacking around to find the same flow rates that’d be similar to a 12 row at 3.5mph, I kinda forget how fast we had to drive but it was scary fast.

the only difference I can see between the 8240 and the 7240 is the horse power, and I’m told that all 8-9240’s have planetary final drives(except for the track ones).  The 7240’s can have either a bull gear drive, or a planetary.

as for your real question, you'd be alright running a 8 row on a class eight, your just not gonna be able to utilize the machines capacity, due to the excess speed(unless you are in 300bu. corn) you’ll need to travel to “keep it full”, but that’s not that big of a deal really.

as far as the bean head, I’d be looking for a 35’ platform, or of course the 40-45’ draper. The class 8 would handle it easily.

Edited by johnny skeptical 11/16/2020 14:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)