AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere STS trash/dust buildup
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JD 9400
Posted 10/30/2020 07:40 (#8575615 - in reply to #8575356)
Subject: RE: John Deere STS trash/dust buildup

Southern Pa.
biggrntractor - 10/30/2020 06:48

Your correct the front 2 covers are not under the metal lip. Repair time less than the time to take the picture !!  Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

X2. L1 & L2 covers look like they're not under the metal lip. We are first year owners of a 9660 rotor. My youngest son replaced the seals on the ends of L1 & L2 when we were giving our combine the preharvest inspection. First day I only ran it 3 to 4 hours in corn, and it had a wheelbarrow full of ground up corn leaves, husks, and corn silk all around the primary countershaft, just like the OP. Maybe not quite that much, but same deal. It was a windy day, and I just thought it was drifting off the head, and floating in under the cab from the front. (feederhouse area) Blew it all off with a gas powered leafblower, (we always did that at the end of each day with our walker machines) and called it a day. Didn't give it much thought, really.

Second day we probably ran 5 to 6 hours, not much wind. When I went to blow the combine off, I realized something must be wrong. It had so much material packed up in behind the cab, you couldn't even see the primary countershaft at all!! My boy brought the second leafblower, and I'd say it took us most of an hour with two leafblowers to get that mess out of there! It was packed in big time, must have been a skidloader bucket full or two of material. (We have a 1 cubic yard litter/snow bucket, not a little dirt bucket, LOL) I told my boy Deere wouldn't sell a single Rotary combine if that was normal, and if they did, there wouldn't be many used ones around to buy, they'd all be burnt up, lol.

Anyway, I got to inspecting things a little more closely, and discovered that when my son replaced the end seals on L1 & L2 covers, he didnt get the covers underneath that metal lip. There was about a 2 in. gap at the top, and that's where all that material was blowing out. I doubt it looked like that when he installed them, I think the fan blew them open more.

Reinstalled those two covers properly, and that took care of 99% of that issue!!! Yes, you will get some trash in under the cab that floats in from the front, and you will get a bit of dirt from L1 & L2 where the linkage rods go through the covers, hard to seal that totally. (Maybe we need new seals there as well?) I didn't think the linkage seals seemed bad, we left them go.

Anyway, to the OP, check ALL those black plastic doors, make sure they are installed correctly, have good rubber seals at the ends, and where the linkage rods go through, and you'll be much happier!!

Good luck, we like our 9660!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)