AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

High yielding wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Buehler
Posted 11/1/2020 09:05 (#8579509 - in reply to #8574226)
Subject: RE: High yielding wheat

Scott City KS

cscolem - 10/29/2020 15:40

Anyone have any tips for growing high yielding wheat. If the weather is right our area can produce 100 bushel wheat, but it seems like we always treat wheat as good enough to get by. I’m a younger farmer that’s growing wheat for the first time so just looking for good advice.

So far my plan is to fertilize for the wheat and following soybean crop, drill 1.5 million seeds per acre, and try to split my nitrogen applications

If you can get to 100 fairly regularly, Needham's plan is where you need to look.

In my part of the world moisture related problems other than stripe rust aren't an issue, so take it for what it's worth.  I'm in HRWW country 16" precip, low humidity.  

Out here, my opinion is that all the nitrogen up front isn't the answer, especially if planting early.  I get most of mine on at greenup, but later would be better in some years with good grainfill. 

We have high pH not low, but if it's low, I'm guessing lime would pay.  Others would be more qualified to answer that.  Our high pH ties up P, so we have to band it.  Our soils are naturally high in K, but I'm starting to hear people say their stuff responds to K-Mag.  Take a good long look at your soil samples.   

IMO, what moves the needle on wheat is consistent, appropriate seed depth.  in HRWW country we have to have it pretty deep to avoid winter damage.  If you're following beans, spread the chaff.  Spend money on the machine to spread the chaff if necessary.  East of here where they grow beans, if they don't get it spread you can see it in the wheat.  Then get a good enough drill to get it 2" deep everywhere.  Dad tried a few "no till" drills before we finally got a single disk air seeder with enough downpressure to actually no till wheat in. 

The above is my opinion.  But I'll second Needhams approach.  Some of it may not be the answer in your area, but it's worth a look.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)