AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lift Assist in Parallel with 3 pt
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

scmn_06
Posted 4/13/2009 10:33 (#678678 - in reply to #678620)
Subject: RE: Have you tried it without the lift assist?

Blue Earth, MN
A person really needs to look at center of gravity. Was at the same place you were. JD8320, 12R30 double toolbar with Dawn strip till units (updated style). The double bar had the double 7x7 tubes placed front to rear of each other. Tractor has a 13,300 lb lift capacity 2 ft behind lower linkage pin thus giving a 26,600 ft-lb moment on the tractor. The moment is what is important as it affects axle loading and ultimately early bearing fatigue. The toolbar with units had a 10,000 lb weight and a CG 45" behind the lower lifting pin. This obviously exceeded the 26,600.

I looked at lift assist wheels and actually purchased some used Orthman's. I didn't like them as it was just something else to take care of and really a person should have the top link removed so the hitch and lift assist aren't fighting each other. Jim @ Dawn requires a top link to be used to keep the units from rocking the toolbar forward. The biggest issue why I didn't want to have to use lift assist wheels was because we want to use a Montag steerable cart behind our toolbar. After talking to Roger he wasn't too fond of using lift assist wheels in junction with his steerable cart (the gooseneck style). I know they have a lift assist style too but that seems like an engineering nightmare and would be flexability issues.

Thus, I redesigned a new toolbar that moved the CG forward so we do not exceed the moment now. What a difference it made! It really improved steering and transportation speed stability. This toolbar is still a double bar and weighs about the same as the first one I had. It is also expandable out to 16R30" with Dawn units and can still be used on a tractor with at least a 17,000 lb lift capacity without having to use lift assist wheels. I can't envision a more efficient system then a 40' mounted toolbar with Dawn units equipped with a Montag steerable cart carrying a fertilizer box/tank, attached to a JD8530 with autosteer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)