AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wifi farm update
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

cri
Posted 4/15/2009 15:53 (#681407 - in reply to #680454)
Subject: Re: wifi farm update

central mo
sbeat99 - 4/14/2009 19:11

I'd Like to do it too.
Dads less than a mile, sis, 1/2 mile. Both don't want to pay the cost of int. Mom wants it dad wont do it . I have Agristar/ Hughs net.
Q? do you worry about download limits (slow down) with 2-3 users?? I have no idea what my use is but have heard if you go over they slow you down.
Are you on basic cost or at a higher cost? mine is $60.
What is a ball park cost? $500/ $1000 more?
Thanks

Check out this website ( http://www.wlanparts.com/ ) for pricing your equipment. In my opinion, you'd be able to setup the network for less than $500-$600 dollars.

FYI: Line of sight between homes is necessary for most IP based equipment to work like this.

I would suggest putting an omni directional antennae on a TV tower or on top the central-most home so the other two homes can point their antenna's in that direction and pick up the omni directional signal. Keep in mind that it doesn't matter where the internet will come into the network from. IP equipment doesnt care about that ... only that there is a connection there. The route signals as needed.

If using the omni directional antenna is do-able where you are located, then one house will have the omni directional antennae setup as the "Access Point" and the other two home's will be setup as "clients" ... Each client and the access point should be setup with static addresses ... and multiplexing needs to be enabled.
Also, each home will need a seperate linksys/belkin/or similar router for computers in the home to plug into or wirelessly connect to.

Speeds across the network will likely show no signs of slowness. Your internet connection, however will probably start to lag a bit since you'll be adding 2-3 extra computers on one internet connection. I would suggest bumping up your service plan with your provider.

If you hit your download limit ... often providers will just slow your download and upload speeds from what they normally are. Sometimes they will completely deny you any further service for the remainder of the month. That would be up to you to check out with your provider.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)