AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Using planting maps while harvesting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/14/2020 05:54 (#8545152 - in reply to #8542014)
Subject: Picture to illustrate using planting maps at harvest time

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
As mentioned above I use my planting maps from my InCommand 1200 to show the different varieties in the combine. I also use it to help me "pull in" on the correct set of rows. I use an InCommand 1200 in the planting tractor to record the varieties I plant among several other things. This same InCommand 1200 is moved to the combine for harvest. That means the planting information and maps are available. All our corn and soybeans are planted with a 24-30" Deere CCS planter. The corn is harvested with an 8-30" corn head. The soybeans are harvested with a 30' (12-30") head.

Since the corn head is 8 rows, three passes exactly cover a planter pass. It is desirable to harvest rows 1-8, 9-16 or 17-24. This means that when I harvest in strips the last pass will be a full set of exactly 8 rows. It also means that I won't be harvesting on the guess row between passes. Prior to auto steer it was fairly easy to see a set of rows slightly wide or narrow at the beginning of a pass indicating the edge of the planter. With auto steer this is more difficult and I would sometimes just dive in only to find I ended up with 9 rows for my last pass of a strip.

Below is a screen view for corn harvest. The map shown would typically be the yield map BUT the planting map (or others) can be selected. and shown while harvesting. The information on the screen still reflects harvest but the map shows the planter passes. Note that in the picture below there are lines representing the planted rows with a darker line at the pass edge. The location icon happens to be 8 rows wide which is perfect for me. This allows me to pick a set of rows that is on the edge of the planter. Note in the picture below that my location icon is just inside the outer row of the planter pass. You may notice on the picture that the direction of the planted pass happens to be coming toward me, this means that I was harvesting rows 17-24 of the planted pass. This is not important as I'm still taking an edge pass. This map can also be useful for inevitable odd rows we have even in our rectangular fields as it is very evident from the planting map. I used that idea just last night to delay taking that overlapping pass until last.

It is desirable in soybeans to be completely in Rows 1-12 or Rows 13-24. This is absolutely necessary in a split planter situation where half the planter is one Variety and the other half another Variety and I wish to do a Variety comparison. When harvesting soybeans, I use the same idea but since the location icon is still 8 rows wide, I need to pull in so that there are two extra rows to the outside of the edge of the triangle to accommodate the extra two rows on each side with the larger bean head.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone else but doesn't work out so well with different planter and head sizes. My planter happens to be a multiple of both of my heads.

Edited by tedbear 10/14/2020 06:30

(IMG_0924[1] (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0924[1] (full).JPG (83KB - 64 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)