AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

grain set up questions.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

greenfarmer
Posted 9/16/2020 13:35 (#8498935 - in reply to #8498871)
Subject: RE: grain set up questions.

Central Minnesota
Kinda went thru the very same thing about 9 years ago. When i was in my mid 30's. So similar situation as yourself.

At the time, we had a top dry that burnt down. with a 6500 bushel flat floor bin as our wet holding.

We went to a 1000bph dry and cool dryer. GSI. Corn is 18% and it'll push out 1800+ per hour.

Put up a wet leg, and dry leg, installed a 500bu pit.

Put a cone bottom on that 6500 bu bin. In essence it holds roughly 9000 bushels now.

Before the fire, we were running a 9600 with 8 row head, 1000 bush cart, and 2 semi's along with a 750bu tri-axle straight truck. You could combine for 4-6hours, and have to stop. Let the dryer catch up a little, and could go out a couple hours later, and combine again for a few more loads. Then babysit dryer half the night.

Now we are running a 9870, 12 row head, 2 semi's, 1000 bu cart. Now we can start the dryer at 630am, spend time greaseing and fueling things up, head to the field, and combine all day. Quit at 10pm, and shut the dryer off if we want to. or let it run. But will always have wet bin empty in the morning if we let it run. Then you have to combine a couple of loads to dump before you even start the dryer.

I have a hard time sleeping at night if the dryer is running. Mind is racing, and wondering if everything is working or going good. Or if we have a fire going. So i prefer to shut it off when we quit for the night, and get a nice night sleep. Then start again in the morning.

Only regret is i wish i would have put in a bigger bph wet leg. But we were limited with only single phase power here. So already running a phase convertor for the dry leg.

This fall is my last payment at FSA for the facility loan. (well worth it to do it once, rather than do a partial setup, and then regret it later)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)