AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gear Ratio of Deere Pro Drive
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/8/2009 05:51 (#673215 - in reply to #673145)
Subject: RE: Gear Ratio of Deere Pro Drive

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I think there are various ratios used depending on the planter. By experimentation I concluded that one we did at the shop was 3:2 - this was on a New Prodrive CCS.

My own personal 1760 (Vac) was converted over after the fact. I'm thinking mine is 1:1 since the Drive and Driven housings appear to be the same size. Whatever the ratio is, it is the same as the original sprocket ratio since my original chart still applies. I am not using a Rawson so this ratio is not an issue for me.

In talking with an Ag Leader Tech one day (he did not seem very sure of himself - I don't think he actually ever did an install) he indicated another ratio which escapes me now.

On the planter I mentioned at first, I determined the overall ratio by trial & error.

The Prime routine is designed to rotate the seed mechanism exactly one turn to make certain that each cell or finger is loaded with a seed. We started out by running the Prime routine and observing the seed mechanism, it turned and then stopped like it should but didn't make exactly one revolution. We tried a different ratio and repeated the Prime routine. We continued to refine this number until we got the Prime routine to turn the seed mechanism exactly one turn.

Once I had the number that I felt was correct for the overall ratio, I wrote an equation where the known ratios for the sprockets and the final ratio were known. Solving the equation for the unkown Prodrive ratio yielded 1.5. This amounts to 3:2. This seems like a "nice" ratio. The relative size of the housings seemed consistent with this value.

This planter is still not calibrated due to some other issues with the steering on the tractor pulling it.

The calibration routine is the final "proof of the pudding" and should be done soon. This amounts to actually using some seed and going through the calibrate routine.

Edited by tedbear 4/8/2009 09:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)