AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

WAAS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Virginia Veg.
Posted 4/8/2009 12:55 (#673541 - in reply to #672828)
Subject: OmniStar XP

Eastern VA. No such thing as too many Magnums.
We did what you are considering. We went with WAAS in the beginning, just to get started. It is good enough for tillage, spraying, spreading, drilling, and combining non-row crops. Not good enough to plant corn in my opinion. It will be fine for a while, and then all the sudden it will be off by 2 or 3 feet. Then you get set back up, and later, same thing. It is frustrating. But everyone said it would be that way, so no surprise. We went to the lesser of the omnistar signals this spring, Omni XP. It is SUBSTANTIALLY better for us. I've been laying off rows myself all week and its been much easier than last year. It was well worth it in my opinion. I don't know if you're using an older tractor, but make sure the tie rods and front axle are in good repair, otherwise it will be much harder to zero in. Keep in mind that most equipment is not perfectly built, so you may have to factor in side draft and offset. Play around with it in an open field with different implements. Make sure yo make a couple passes before making adjustments. Trying to figure it out the same day you need to use it will be very disappointing. We like our 500s, and are very impressed with the system. We tried one last June, and now we have 5, so they sell themselves. Very worthwhile investment if you ask me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)