AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lost dairy barn to fire
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Hereford Guy
Posted 8/27/2020 22:58 (#8461670 - in reply to #8461598)
Subject: RE: Lost dairy barn to fire

Wow......she got hot!!!! At least the cows weren't in there anymore. I used to milk and had I lost the cows in a fire, you might have had to shoot me. I've heard about guys who had to hear them bellow and holler, unable to get out. I'd have never made it through listening to that.

My Grandma told me a story when she was in her late 80's I suppose, that one night someone pulled in about dusk at the rented farm they lived on then and hollered; "HOWARD! YOUR BARN'S ON FIRE!!!!"

Grandma said they all raced outside and sure enough the barn was on fire. Grandma closed her eyes and said; "In my mind, I can see my dad running toward the barn. And I can hear my mother screaming for him to come back."

I asked Grandma how old she was and she said her and her twin sister were scared to death and couldn't have been more than four or so. I think they bought the home farm when they were four.

She said her next memory of that is her dad running back out of the barn and he had the horses by their halters. His hair was smoldering where hot sparks had fallen onto it, but by God, he got the teams out of the barn.

No lives lost. Nobody hurt. Let's praise God for that at least.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)