AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

low satellite coverage for RTK fix
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

bigfarmerdave
Posted 4/5/2009 22:08 (#670226)
Subject: low satellite coverage for RTK fix

Eastern Iowa
On Saturday I was out testing the strip-till and the IA RTK network on our autopilot system as well. I had no problems getting an RTK fix and keeping it on the Insight up until about 6pm. From about 6-8:30 (finally gave up), it kept bouncing between RTK fix and float and back and forth.  Keep in mind this was out in the middle of a field with no obstacles.  When it would go from fix to float, it showed 5 satellites.  I thought I needed 5 to get my RTK fix and 4 to hold it.  Maybe the rules are different for the network solution?  I also understand that when running off a single base that you want the rover and the base to be looking at the same sats.  However, I don't know how that works in a network as a state wide network should always be seeing more sats than any one single rover in the field. We're running Trimble 252s so don't have the option of unlocking GLONASS. Did anyone else happen to experience a similar situation yesterday evening? Has anyone ever come across instances where your sat coverage was marginal at best?  This is a bit concerning to me as I hadn't noiced that low of coverage before. Typically when I've been testing the network, I see 7+ satellites.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)