AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

COVID-19 test
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

clevepreach
Posted 8/7/2020 10:28 (#8420699 - in reply to #8420637)
Subject: RE: COVID-19 test

Cleveland, MS. Own small farm near Booneville, MS

As said, my wife had been feel bad for about a week: low grade fever off and on, upset stomach, general achieness, etc. Got bad enough on Friday that she finally decided a trip to the doctor was the next step but it was already after 5 on Friday. Can't go on Saturday or Sunday. Called the doctor's office on Monday morning. Was told that since she had those symptoms we would have to get tested before we could see the doctor. The clinic we use also has an "after hours" clinic in the same building. They are the ones handling the tests. Went down on Monday morning. Answered a bunch of questions about whether or not we had knowingly been in the presence of someone who had the virus. "No" for both of us but we have been to the grocery store, Walmart, Dollar General, and Dollar Tree a few times. Even went shopping in Southaven a few weeks ago. Since that county is a "hot spot" we wore our masks every time we were out of the car. Usually, but not always, wear a mask in the local stores, especially if there is a sign on the door requiring one. I have been out and about much more than my wife, but she is the one who tested positive. Because we are in the same household both are required to quarantine for two weeks. The CFNP who did the tests told us that if we were experiencing no symptoms after two weeks we are free to go about our business. No followup test required. According to her, that's the CDC guidelines, although she did state that some doctors/clinics are requiring followup tests before allowing you in. It seems to be pretty much on the honor system. "Go home, quarantine yourself for two weeks, and go about your business." That was the message I got. Wife did say that by Tuesday she was feeling better.

My niece works for a car dealership. She said that she got it from someone (don't know if it was a customer or someone else) who came into the dealership that had the virus. Just treatment at home for her. One of our church members is a quadriplegic (motorcycle wreck about 15 years ago). He and his wife have three people who come in to help care for him (morning, afternoon, and evening). I believe, but don't know for sure, that the evening help brought it in to them. He has been in the hospital for a couple of weeks but is due to be released within the next couple of days. They just gave his wife medicine and sent her home.

It seems that unless you know for certain who/where you contracted the virus they don't do much followup. Just treat you and let it go after that.

As I said, wife and I live in the same house, eat at the same table, sleep in the same bed, etc. She got it. So far, I haven't. I may be one of those lucky ones that don't get it. On the other hand symptoms could start showing up tomorrow and I could die from it. Who knows? All that being said, her immune system is not as strong as mine due to her breast cancer a few years ago. Mastectomy followed by radiation. She also has a family history of cancer. I don't.

My take (FWIW): If you are reasonably healthy, maintain good hygiene, and don't intentionally expose yourself to the virus you probably won't get it. If you are reasonably healthy and you do get it, it probably won't be any worse than a bad cold or bout with the flu. On the flu I guessing because I've never had the flu that I know of and have never gotten the flu, pneumonia, or shingles shot. I might drop dead any time, but it will probably be from something no one ever saw coming.

I apologize for such a long post, but I do think this thing is dangerous, but not to the extent that the news media and the Democrats (but I repeat myself) want you to believe it is.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)