AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Local strip till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GB1066
Posted 7/28/2020 17:36 (#8401450 - in reply to #8401170)
Subject: RE: Local strip till

Central IA
Can't really speak to yield. Haven't done any trials. But I'd absolutely put our corn up against the conv till neighbors year in and year out. I can't help but think putting the dry down lower where soil is moist through the growing season is helping in the yield department. Plus all of the other agronomic benefits. A lot of conv neigh ors fields still have tracks showing up from spring tillage passes. You won't have that with strip till. You're planting into a prepared strip, rather than a wheel track. The big thing we've noticed is how it's helped our soil. We don't get anywhere near the erosion we did when we tilled. 2 years ago during harvest conv neighbors were getting stuck and/or leaving tracks everywhere with their combines. We weren't. Our soil structure has improved 10 fold since going this route. Plus, in the spring I spent everyday in the tractor doing tillage ahead of the planter before switching to strip till. Now I do pre spraying and plant beans. Plus we use 2/3 the fuel we used to. Strip till has helped our bottom line immensely.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)