AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GMC Duramax brakes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GM Guy
Posted 7/2/2020 00:06 (#8348862 - in reply to #8347553)
Subject: RE: GMC Duramax brakes

NW KS/ SC ID
gene_champ - 7/1/2020 11:14

GM Guy - 7/1/2020 08:53

GM got cheap on these and didnt put a power steering cooler in the diesels, just what you want on a rig designed to tow and relies on PS fluid to run the brake booster...

There is a direct fit cooler from GM, so they know its a problem.

IMO its cooked seals in the hydroboost and PS pump from overheated fluid. My 06 brakes suck as well. I have a new cooler, but havent installed it yet, but to do it right really needs a new pump, booster, and re-seal the steering box as its leaking fluid too, so I cant tell you that it will help you at all.

Regardless, a fluid change with a good full synthetic PS fluid would do nothing but good, so I'd at least do that.

Can you tell me about the cooler? I never heard of that before. How much, where to get, how hard to install? Thanks.

ill dig around and see if I can find the part number.

It bolts right in, and plumbing isnt bad, and looks even simpler if a guy uses an inline filter to make the one connection (dual male fittings). Magnafine (I believe correct name) sells a hi-flow filter made especially for power steering systems.

if you google "Duramax Power Steering cooler" you'll get tons of results, but most of it is people being hacks and putting some universal one in with zip ties, or people modding a GM one off a 8.1L gas application to work, which saves all of 20 bucks IIRC.

Myself, I put alot of value in everything being done right, so I personally got the GM cooler made specifically for the application.

Edited by GM Guy 7/2/2020 00:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)