AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Energy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 6/30/2020 09:23 (#8344972 - in reply to #8344697)
Subject: yogurt

Pittsburg, Kansas

We do it for the higher fat and extra low carbs. We have never really figured the cost but I suspect it does cost more to make it out of heavy cream rather than milk or purchased yogurt.

My wife likes it very thick Greek style and so she strains the whey out of it. It ends up the consistency of almost a very soft cheese. It has a very creamy mouth feel being made out of cream.

With an Instant Pot that has a yogurt setting it is ultra easy when using the cold start method. The cold start method requires ultra pasteurized milk as opposed to regular milk which is just regular pasteurized. Ultra pasteurized milk is the shelf stable at room temperature boxed milk. It so happens that all the heavy whipping cream is also ultra pasteurized so it can also be utilized in the cold start method. With cold start all a person does is dump the ingredients into the Instant Pot, press the yogurt button, and walk away for 8-25 hours depending on how tart a person wants the yogurt. Then my wife does the extra step of straining the whey out to make it thicker and even lower in sugar but that step is not required.

It is pretty easy. Helps that my wife likes cooking and being in the kitchen.

John

Edited by John Burns 6/30/2020 09:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)