AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

forage planning
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jason10is
Posted 6/23/2020 09:26 (#8331225 - in reply to #8329930)
Subject: RE: forage planning

I agree with haygrower. If it were me I’d scrap the soybean idea (your raising cattle) go corn chop silage or earlage. Then plant fall forage crop. Depending on harvest crew on oats, for late fall cut or triticale for spring cut then repeat with corn.
If you go oats that would allow you to spread at anytime through winter if needed, and still plant your corn at your normal timing. If you go with triticale or wheat/rye for that matter you will probably be looking at pushing corn planting back @2-3 weeks from your normal. You have more than enough growing time to do continues corn/fall crop chopping with your soil type. Important part is to keep reapplying manure and you will build your souls up.
No matter what fall crop you use the chopper is the key factor. Some don’t mind working till December, scheduling can get hairy, delays happen. Who you working with? Gary is right, 40 acres can be done in a few days after chores with the right equipment, help, knowledge, time. However sometimes it pays to pay someone else to have all those things if you can make schedules work.
I just planted a forage sorghum/Milo this year that is an 85 day crop that should come off about the same time as corn silage that might be a possibility as well to follow your corn with.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)