AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Knee pads for loading/sorting hogs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

tigger
Posted 6/16/2020 23:37 (#8319538 - in reply to #8318825)
Subject: RE: Knee pads for loading/sorting hogs

Iowa
I've had plastic panels for a long time, but there are a couple things I don't like about them:

They put hand grip holes on the side as well as on the top so the panel can be held vertically as well as horizontally. I've got no use for that, but the pigs can see daylight through those holes on the outer edge on the side and try to poke their nose in the hole and run through it.

The plastic panels are not strong enough for 300 pound pigs, and sometimes bend in the middle.

I used to make my own sorting panels our of plywood, but they did not last very long... that, and the could fall through the slats if I was not careful. It seems odd that I've not bothered to try aluminum after all these years. They were usually the wrong size and cost more whenever I was buying.

Yes, knees can take a beating when sorting & moving hogs. Anticipating what the pig is going to do (not always 100% successful) and being in position to deal with it before it happens helps a lot. It would seem knee pads would slow me down, get in the way, and decrease my mobility.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)