AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Versa setting to use just implement switch for coverage?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/16/2020 09:00 (#8318107 - in reply to #8317911)
Subject: RE: Versa setting to use just implement switch for coverage?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I believe I understand your situation. You have an Auxiliary Input Module and a Clutch Control Module that work fine with your planter. You would like to use the Versa to make a coverage map with the drill. You have been successful in using the onscreen switch to start and stop this mapping but you would prefer this to be done by an implement switch.

The most basic and direct solution is to obtain Ag Leader's Application Rate Module. This Module can do several things. One is to start/stop a coverage map based on implement switch which is what you want. This also give an acre counter based on full width. The module only needs the CAN connection to the system. Wires from the implement switch connect to certain pins on the module. A configuration would need to be created that indicates the width of the drill etc. If you have one of these this would be the most straight forward. I don't recall the cost. Used would be fine.

You could use your Auxiliary Input Module and Clutch Control Module with an implement switch on the drill but you must get a bit tricky. If the Clutch Control Module is mounted on the planter it would need to be moved to the tractor or drill as it is needed. The harness leading from the Clutch Control Module to the clutches on the planter or a substitute would be needed as well. If you could obtain a used frame harness, one that has sections 1 & 2 intact that should work.

You would create a planting configuration. You would indicate no controller in the setup but use the Clutch Control Module. The system requires at least two sections. The other questions about width etc should be straight forward.

You may have done this. If so, you would get a warning message about not finding the correct number of section clutches. This would be true. You must find a way to make the Ag Leader system believe that it is connected to two clutches. One way would be to actually get and install clutches in the drill. I'm assuming you don't want to do that.

Another route would be to remove two clutches from the planter and carry them on the drill plugged in but not actually doing anything. This is a bit clumsy. Instead I would get two 12V relays from an automotive supply house. Put a relay in the clutch harness for the section 1 and 2 branches instead of actual clutches. The coil in the relay will behave like the coil in an actual clutch and the system should not complain.

Your coverage map will then stop painting when the drill is raised. The relays will be activated also but no nothing since they are not connected to anything. There are other methods but relays are a simple workaround.

The downside to this approach is that 1) you would need to move the Clutch Control Module 2) You need to move or obtain a substitute clutch harness to go to the relays to fake out the system.

You might be thinking there should be a way to just connect an implement switch into the main wiring without using any modules. Sounds reasonable but it doesn't work that way.

Here's a rough drawing of an actual clutch versus a relay

Edited by tedbear 6/20/2020 07:50

(IMG_0851[1] (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0851[1] (full).JPG (50KB - 67 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)