AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag leader liquid control module stopped controlling boom valves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/14/2020 07:58 (#8314205 - in reply to #8313298)
Subject: RE: Ag leader liquid control module stopped controlling boom valves

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
First off, I would not be concerned about the bumps or blisters on the bottom of the Liquid Module. Mine has the one on the lower left like yours. I don't recall if the rest of the base is smooth or not.

A point of continued confusion with Ag Leader modules is that the operator receives no notification if the High Current Power/Ground to the Module has been lost. The Liquid Module like all modules has an LED indicator. This indicator should be flashing green for normal operation. If it is flashing green this indicates that the CAN connection allowing communication between the modules and the display is healthy and working. Many operators assume that the flashing green LED indicates that all is well. NOT necessarily, it does indicate that the CAN connections and system is operating correctly, it does not tell you anything about the high current status.

The Liquid Product Control Module has a 2 pole gray Deutsch connector which supplies the module with the high current power it needs to do its task of powering the flow meter, control valve and section valves. There is no LED indicator to indicate that this high current power is available. There is no message on the screen informing the operator that this has been lost. The way to check it is to temporarily disconnect the gray connector from the harness and use a volt meter to test for 12V between the two pins. Put the meter between the two pins, do not check to chassis ground as that would not be conclusive proof.

I wish that the Ag Leader modules would have two LEDs. One to indicate the status of the CAN communication such as they do AND another that would show the status of the high current power.

I'm betting this is your problem. I had this happen to me when I worked as a Tech early in my early experience with Ag Leader. I worked on a planter at a farmers place and things were going well. I needed to make an extension cable for part of the project and had returned with it the next day. We were able to make the planter work properly the first day. The second day after installing the extension it no longer worked. I assumed my extension was causing the problem but couldn't figure out why. Turns out the farmer had tie banded all the wiring in place on the planter during my absence. He had folded the planter to back it into the shed. In so doing, one of the high current connectors was pulled apart as he had not allowed enough slack in the wiring for folding. I eventually discovered it and learned to test for high current power.

If the booms wouldn't come ON, I check the following: 1) implement switch operating properly or jumpered 2) Auto swath set to OFF or inactive 3) Target rate other than zero 4) High current Power available to the Module 5) Power/ground available to the valves. The lack of high current power due to a poor connection is often the culprit.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)