AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

elevation issues
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 11/10/2006 23:34 (#60254 - in reply to #59655)
Subject: Re: elevation issues

Rolla, ND
I have thought quite a bit on the use of wetness maps, but I have to admit I'm not as far along as I would like.

For instance, the first place we get lodging is right at the base of slopes, just exactly where a wetness map would predict.

If we don't get big enough rains to get runoff, then generally lodging isn't a problem.

It would seem to me to be possible to wetness map a field and then apply Cerone to the areas that are likely going to lodge, and not applying it to the rest of the field and thus saving the expense and minor yield loss that often occurs in the absence of lodging.

I also thing the conductivity maps one does could be more or less like the wetness map based on moisture conditions. I've always been a bit conflicted when to do them. Do you do them just whenever you can and figure the differences in soil and OM will show up, or do you try to do it when the field is uniform in moisture, or is the best time a few days after a rain that causes some runoff and so you get some areas still relatively dry and others quite a bit wetter due to landscape location.

In practice conductivity has basically been a do it when you can.

I'm assuming you've looked some comparing the satellite shots and yield maps to wetness maps, how do they look?

Marv
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)