AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

value of tires
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Sundance
Posted 6/2/2020 12:19 (#8294272 - in reply to #8293717)
Subject: RE: value of tires

West Central Minnesota
Fixed it...

we are thinking about replacing some single 18.4x38 tires on a 1600 gallon tank that we pull between our tractor and field cultivator with some old floater 66x43x25NHS 6 ply tubeless tires. I have found a set that a neighbor has. They have been stored inside, they are on rims that I think would fit our 10 bolt pattern for mounting. The haven't been used for about 15 years. They have about 50-60% tread left with very little weather checking, stubble damage. The sidewalls look fine. There is also a 3rd tire with no rim with a lot of road wear, maybe 10% tread left.

What would be a fair value for these tires? Is the age of the tires a deal killer? They were used when my neighbor quit using them approximately 15 years ago. They have been stored inside, up in a barn loft.

It looks like we would have to extend our axle about 4" on each side for clearance between tire and tank. Not a big deal, but some work. Would I be better going with a set of 18.4x38 band duals instead of the floater tires? Would the band duals be heavy enough? We apply 32%, so 1600x11#/gallon is 17600#. Would these floater tires be heavy enough? Is 6 ply on the lighter side?

We are trying to eliminate some compaction. Going back to using NH3 or urea spread or 32% spread by the fert dealer isn't really a option in our situation. Thanks for your comments.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)