AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need some back up on buddies b.s.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

GRAZEEM
Posted 5/30/2020 15:38 (#8289542 - in reply to #8287843)
Subject: RE: Need some back up on buddies b.s.

Doing my thing - 5/29/2020 18:00

One of my friends used to raise a few feeders. Less then 10 a year. He claims he could get 4-4.5 pounds gain per day out of holstein steers. His feed rations were 40% protein pellets 500# per 5600# shelled corn and all the 1st clover hay the animal wanted. I have been raising beef feeders and struggle to get 3# per day gain. Am I missing something or is he using a "special" scale. Thanks

My wife ran Holstein heifers on grass (intensive rotational grazing) and could get those kind of gains on turnips in the fall. She would plant them after the oats harvest. With the regrowth of the oats, and the turnips as big as your head, she got terrific gains. She often got 3 to 4 pounds in the spring too. I just asked her, she said she got 5 pounds once.

I know you will think this is bull, but I assure you it is not. She was a darling of the Penn State people, and often would give tours of her system.

40,000 feet of 15 guage wire fence, with 20,000 feet of above ground water. on 150 acres. All controlled with poly-wire.

Her problem was, she was ahead of the curve. That was 30 years ago, and there was no market for that kind of animal. Today is a different I think. She had steers once too, and got the same kind of gains.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)