AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Chicken water/feeders needed?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 5/23/2020 15:18 (#8275517 - in reply to #8275326)
Subject: RE: Chicken water/feeders needed?

SE Manitoba
Crete - 5/23/2020 12:50

If I put 100 cornishx chicks in a 5' x 50' pen how many feeders and waterers do I need?

TIA.

In the beginning that pen (for day olds) is way too big.
Temperature needs to be at about 86 F at chick level. Listen to the peeping - - - - - easy to tell by listening and then looking at them.
Chicks should not be in a clump nor should they be spread out.
I start that many in a space about 4' x 5'.
Feeders - - - for the first 10 days or so I would use the little troughs with the whirly tops (so they don't stand and just crap in the trough) - - - - I used 2 - 18" ones.
Waterers - - - - I used 2 or 3 of the 1 gallon size for the first while as well. Best to change the water every feeding (2 x / day).
After they were a week old or so the space was opened up but the temperature needs to be slowly decreased over time.

Now when they're about 10 days to 2 weeks old - - - - yes I know its more work - - - I shifted them to my big 7 gal waterers.
I would park it up on the flats of 2 x 4 bits (must be well supported!!! the stupids will dump anything that's tippy!).
Not quite at the same time I would go to 2 of the 30# feeders that you can hang but I just put them up on the 2 x 4 bits as well.

It was by about 3 weeks that I moved to blending the chick starter with my own feed (whole hard red spring wheat high protein, cracked corn and a mix of soymeal and/or DDGS (what I had and also by how much I wanted to spend) mixed to at least 18% protein (higher gets faster growth!!!)). Around then or when it needed it I added the 2nd waterer not always though.

Chicks - - - - well they're just as 'sensitive' as the other kind - - - - things have to be good or they just die on you.
My goal with the feeders and waterers was to have enough space so that they could pretty much all get to the feed/water at once for pretty much the whole time until slaughter.
HTH
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)