AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I have split wood last 3 days ! What have you done?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

BrentOntario
Posted 3/27/2009 20:29 (#659062 - in reply to #658842)
Subject: RE: I have split wood last 3 days ! What have you done?

Let's see,, not used to dealing in wood by the cubic meter..

One "full cord" of wood is defined as neatly stacked firewood pieces in a pile 8 feet long, 4 feet high, and 4 feet wide. That's 128 cubic feet.

The net defines a cubic metre as about 35.314 cubic feet, or a cord as 3.6426 cubic metres.
Making 80 cubic metres = 21.978 full cords.

People here usually refer to wood in terms of the smaller "face cord", one-third of a full cord, or a pile of 16" logs 4 feet high and 8 feet long. We burn about 15 to 20 of these each winter, meaning you can prepare our entire's winter fuel in one day! I use a tractor-mounted hydraulic splitter, and like to split it fairly fine and small.

How do you split? By axe alone? Or with power splitter? Or one of those "fire wood processor" machines that can load logs, cut, split, and pile under hydraulic command?

Wednesday: Heavy rain all day then fog. Took mom to the city for Dr.'s appointment and MRI, sent mom's home-published local history book to the printers (I do all the editing and layout --- a big project, this is her fourth book.)
Then I bought this thing (rear view camera), planning on using it on the back of hay/grain wagons to make hauls on the highway a bit less scarey. Don't know if it will work at that disance, but it was really cheap clearance item at Canadian Tire.

Thursday. No rain. Marathon session on the tractor, scraping and piling up mud in the barn yard, getting so high cows are on the verge of walking over the fence. Went with my uncles across the county shopping for bulls, bought a Charlaois.

Friday. More marathon barnyard cleaning. Then go the bush and cut up a few more trees. I don't split them until I haul the logs out to behind the barn.

Edited by BrentOntario 3/27/2009 22:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)