AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What does the future hold for the Trimble FMX?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Arnie
Posted 3/24/2009 20:54 (#655351 - in reply to #652922)
Subject: RE: What does the future hold for the Trimble FMX?

It seems logical to me that yield monitoring would be the next step.  I know this is an oversimplification...but...when they are calibrating AP systems to take feedback in and output instructions to steer or control scrapers in the vertical how big of a leap is it really.  While it is sexy to have "accurate" real time yield data it is more valuable to see relative differences and then post calibrate yield data against real world scale weights and moisture readings.  So much like post calibrating a GPS location on earth to make it really accurate you do the same with all the voltage values from the combine sensors and post calibrate that against real world data and the job is done.  It gets more involved when you want the cool display to show off in real time but that is the market so that is fine.

Hopefully if this comes to pass they will not reinvent the wheel and simply have a utility to get the data out in many forms....acknowleding that "standards" are meant to be broken so really it just comes down to x and y's for location and z's for values and then let all the software companies utilize the data as they see fit and get rid of all the proprietary baggage that muddles up the industry.

When you think about it in very basic concepts other than steering machine control and cool color monitors how far have we really progressed in the last 10 years.  Probably about a decade ago 4+ products variable rate was happening only to have it stiffled by a company that layed claim to it with money thus stiffling the industry for years and now it is like something new again! 

The most exciting thing of late has been RTK based guidance and for some the DOT getting into the game.  So yes to me it seems probable that Trimble will do yield monitoring especially if it is the same box as CNH is using....but...I think the bigger question is will it have a proprietary mind set to it or more to the point will they build a better mouse trap by letting everyone get to the data which is really just a location and value on earth.  In many ways there really is nothing new under the sun or should I say the GPS constellation.

Arnie

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)