AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

history books
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

clevepreach
Posted 4/2/2020 01:17 (#8157682 - in reply to #8155243)
Subject: RE: history books

Cleveland, MS. Own small farm near Booneville, MS

It depends on which segment of history you are interested in: World History, American History, or some other; and which era of history: Ancient, Middle Ages, Enlightenment, Modern, etc.

For Ancient History, particularly if you are interested in the history of Israel: Flavius Josephus.

For American History prior to the Civil War, David Barton, David McCullough.

For the Civil War period: Shelby Foote, Bruce Catton, McKinley Cantor, Jeff Shaara, Burke Davis, and almost anything written by the actual participants. Grant's memoirs are interesting as is Lee's biography.

For WWII: Stephen Ambrose, and anything written by the actual participants.

Biographies of the people who were the "movers and shakers" of a given era are usually very good sources of information, especially if the author did his homework.

Personally, I'm currently reading (almost finished) "Stonewall In The Valley: Thomas J. 'Stonewall' Jackson's Shenandoah Valley Campaign, Spring 1862" by Robert G. Tanner. It's been a good read. In my spare time I'm also reading Edward Gibbon's "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire." Not for everyone but there's quite a bit of tie-in with Biblical history, which makes it interesting to me.

Believe me, there is no shortage. Just enter your preferred segment of history into the Amazon search engine and you will have multiple choices.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)