AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cowboy Advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

nkline
Posted 3/26/2020 23:05 (#8142063 - in reply to #8140778)
Subject: RE: Cowboy Advice

West Central Iowa
bcochran79 - 3/26/2020 15:34

I am considering keeping a few of my bull calves as potential herd sires. Unfortunately I’m not much of a cowboy and I didn’t tag my calves as they hit the ground. In a week or so I plan to work the calves. We will tag all the calves and castrate the bulls. The problem is that I need my consultant to select the potential sires as I haven’t developed much of an eye yet, the all look like black calves to me. I need to verify they are out of a good cow (watch them nurse). I also need to be able to identify the potential herd sires as they come through the chute so I will know to leave them intact. I am considering attempting to mark them with a paintball gun. Anyone have experience with this? I am open to suggestions.

I would tag and pair them. On developing an eye for cattle first visualize the skeleton, if you don’t know what a skeleton looks like get familiar with it. Look at feet, then joint angles, pelvis length/width and angle, after that visualize the muscle on the animal, look at the forearm muscle(there is little fat there). Select animals with a deep heart girth as they will make much nicer looking cows. Those are just some quick first steps to start picking animals, good luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)