AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hard to get motivated with all the negative news
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GM Guy
Posted 3/18/2020 15:01 (#8116254 - in reply to #8116171)
Subject: RE: Hard to get motivated with all the negative news

NW KS/ SC ID
Herbie56 - 3/18/2020 13:28

To the OP.
What is the one thing that you've always wanted to do but have put off because you didn't have time? This doesn't have to be a big thing in fact it could be as simple as installing a rain guage next to a remote field. A few years ago I was down in the dumps and I extended a water line out to a Pole Barn. This barn was put up back in 1977 but we always just used a hydrant that was 120' away. Still gives me pleasure every time I use it.

^Agreed.

There is a power pole that needed replaced here and the line was held in a really jerry-rigged setup, not as safe, looked like ****. (really looked like ****) pole only needed to be a 25 foot or so.

Had a 35 foot with the bottom 2 foot rotten that Dad thought ahead and had the power company leave when they replaced it years ago (transformer pole out by the road) so after the initial yelling match (Dad wanted Jerry-rig setup 2.0) he yielded and we did it right and replaced that broken pole. had to go move a combine header off the new used one, cut the rotten portion off, and then cleaned up the used oil supply a little soaking the lower 6-7 feet worth that ended up below ground. Had the winch truck already.

Some people are not happy till there is a stripper pole in the new million dollar shop so they can invite the buddies over for a show.

Simple people such as myself are happy with a used power pole installed and the line to the house hung properly... lol Its right outside the south door to the house, so every time I go outside I get to think to myself "damn thats a nice lookin pole" :)

If you ask a normal person, the cost was whatever you value time, and whatever it cost to make a 2000 mile round trip from Idaho in a Tahoe, plus the 300-400 mile round trip to an auction and from there on over to our other property where Dad distinctively remembered a pair of pole digging shovels he bought at an auction 20 years ago (or inherited from Grandpa, cant recall that part)

If you ask my father it cost absolutely nothing, because he went an auction and got some tax paperwork while he was out here. :)

If you ask me, we should have paid the 500 bucks the local power company wanted to install it... (they wanted 1000 for a pole, 500 to install. I was on board with saving 1K, but was never convinced we should have "saved" the 500 bucks)

Oh well, its installed and looks good and brightens my day! :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)