AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

N and k with y drops.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

buffalobud
Posted 3/16/2020 17:08 (#8110363 - in reply to #8109965)
Subject: RE: N and k with y drops.

I should have stated that. I may strip band some, depending on weather. The majority is being placed on a 2x0 dribble on each side of the row when planting.
Your absolutely right, K and P are immobile. However I'm going to give it a whirl. Last year since we were just trying to get some seed in the ground with very limited time I decided to skip the infurrow popup and blend 32%, 10-34-0 with great results for the mess we planted in. Could not find any P def but did have some k Def even on ground that we variable rated 0-0-60.
I believe KSU did a study on surface dribble with P but really worked with 50-60 units of N with it. (trying to find it again) For some reason the tissue tests came back almost identical with the 2x2.
Tessenderlo Kerley does mention that KTS can be applied in a 2x0 starter, with 10-34-0 and 28 or 32%. Now I'm not going to rely on a one program fits all.

We like to variable rate the "immobiles" in the fall per zone management.
Then use the starter with the planter to flood each side of the row primarily with N and S.
Followed up with the Y-drop for more N & S. (Have talked to a guy trying the 4-10-10 in a Y-drop but that takes a lot of volume and I want the "mobile" S on.)
UNFORTUANTLEY the weather has restricted us to being creative with nutrient application.
Ill go back to this program but for now......well, we will see what happens.
The thing that could screw this up is very dry weather but hey, its not going any where soon.

the one thing I will mention is I use Thompson closing wheels with the Keaton seed firmer with the MOJO wire....would not plant with out them! Matt Hagny of Exapta Solutions…...really miss that guy and his recs but the company is top notch! Would not have survived with out their equipment last year!

Ours soils range from 20-26 CEC with alittle in the mid teens, 3.5-5.3 OM on the marginal farms......25-34 CEC and 4-6.5 OM on heavier farms
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)