AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shop computer fails to boot
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/5/2020 06:45 (#8083085)
Subject: Shop computer fails to boot

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have an older computer in the shop that I use mostly for music which I have on a USB external hard drive. The computer has been set to shut down after a period of no activity. So if I leave with the music playing, eventually it will stop and the computer shuts down.

That's fine but lately I have a tough time getting the computer to restart. When I walk in the office after it has done a shut down, the screen is black but the power indicator is still on the computer tower. When this happens on my home office computer, I just push the space bar and it "awakens" and it is ready for action. This does not happen on the shop computer.

Holding the power button down causes it to toggle off. If I push it again it restarts. Sometimes it shows the HP icon on the screen. Other times the screen remains black but I do hear some action from the internal hard drive. Usually I don't see the dots in a circle and it appears to just sit there.

At times I have been successful in literally unplugging the power cord, waiting, reinserting it and trying again. If I ever get past the HP icon and start to see the dots in a circle, then I know that I will be successful.

If I fiddle around long enough I have been successful in getting it to restart. I'm wondering if the problem might be the that the power supply is getting weak or an impending hard drive failure. It seems to behave fine once I get past the booting up stage.

Yesterday I changed some settings to "Never" so that it shouldn't shut down on its own. Any other tricks that I might try. I'd like to limp along with it since my main use is for music only.

Edited by tedbear 3/5/2020 08:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)