AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alpine Fertilizer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mennoboy
Posted 3/16/2009 15:08 (#646454 - in reply to #645961)
Subject: RE: Alpine Fertilizer

Rivers, MB
Andrew,

Here's my thoughts on Alpine fert (phosphate). It gives you more usable P in the year of application than using 11-52-0 or 10-34-0. I'm told that with 11-52-0, you can get up to 30% (assuming nice warm, moist soil conditions at time of seeding) of the amount you apply in the year of application. Therefore, if you put down 30lb of actual P down, you will have up to 9lb/ac available in the first year. The remaining P needs to come from the soil. I'm told that Alpine will give you more than 30% in that first year. That makes it nice in an application where you have taken on new ground that has very low P levels in the soil. HOWEVER, if your annual crop requirements for Phosphate are 30-40lb/ac of actual P, you cannot only put down 20lb/ac (of actual P) with Alpine and expect to not mine your soil. If you take out 30-40lb/ac every year, you have to replace that with 30-40 lb/ac of P every year to maintain (let alone buildup) your soil fertility levels. Kind of like a bank account. If you have an account with $100 in it, you can't take out $10/month and only deposit $5/month and expect the account to have $100 in after 10 years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)