AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sour dough starter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

cfdr
Posted 1/29/2020 19:09 (#8009059 - in reply to #8008969)
Subject: RE: sour dough starter

I think that when starting it, I just used the yeast, potato water, and flour. I don't remember using any sugar at all - either starting out or when I would feed it. In Alaska, I would never refrigerate it, as I used it every second or third day. At the farm, I would refrigerate it sometimes. You just have to remember that it needs to warm up to get active. Refrigerating it seemed to slow down the activity, even when it warmed up.

Feeding it is easy. Take out what you want to use, and put a cup or so of tap water in. Mix it up - it will be a very thin consistency. Then mix in the flour. When the old-timers in Alaska would travel, they would simply mix in flour and make dough ball. Then thin it out when they arrived at where they were going.

There is a lot of variety in sourdoughs. The sourdough at the farm was not the same at all as what I was using in Fairbanks. It was much better in Fairbanks. Also, at the farm it tended to go bad on me much easier - and when it goes bad, you will know it by the strong smell.

I really loved good sourdough. We don't have it as we have no wheat in the house. One son is celiac. He cannot have even minuscule amounts of gluten. He only gets home occasionally, but it is just better not to have any flour dust at all in the house.

Have fun experimenting! Sourdough pancakes are so much better than regular that you won't want the regular at all, I'm guessing. I never used soda in them. It does make them bubbly so they are more like normal, but I like the sour flavor. Just use an egg or two and a bit of sugar, from what I remember - that is if your pot of sourdough is about the right consistency.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)