AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What the worst POS that's been in your shed?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mr. Snerdly1
Posted 11/2/2006 19:51 (#57526 - in reply to #57384)
Subject: RE: Please Mr Snerdly1 tell us more!

I would be happy to. First, it was not a 1480, but a late model 1680 with the long shoe and Cummins engine. I wanted a bigger combine although it was really more than I needed, but some friends told me about it and said it was a good machine. I looked at it and I thought it looked like it needed attention, and crossed it off the list. The friends kept on telling me what a good machine it was, and no one was buying straw walker machines anymore and I should get a rotor. I finally bought it after the seller came down another $5000. Before using the combine, I knew it needed a few things and proceeded to put in a new feederhouse chain, sprockets, bearings, bearings in feeder drum, a few new chains and sprockets, etc. The first year I combined 114 acres and the hydro went out. I called the dealer, he installed a new hydro, went less than a 1/4 mile and it was out again. They said they needed to take it in to the shop to flush the system, (first one was done on site). After about a week, they called saying it was done. Went in to dealer, got combine, went approximately 1/4 mile and hydro was out again. They pulled it back, started again to replace hydro. Another week, called and said it was done. I said I wanted them to drive it out, had serious doubts if it would make it home. They did get it fixed right finally, no more trouble with hydro.

That winter I decided to have dealer look machine over, put in new transition cone, rotor bars, rebuilt final drives, splines on final drive shafts replaced, new brakes, etc.

Over the next several years, I replaced auger tubes (horizontal, vertical, and elbow, augers, clean grain elevator top, clean grain flighting, separator engagement clutch, hydraulic pump, transmission, engine was rebuilt (was getting water in oil), turbo, drive tires, clean grain auger, cleaning fan shaft and bearings, cleaning fan variable speed assembly and electric actuating motor, bottom of bin was patched, assorted parts on the rotor torque sensing drive, numerous rotor belts, kingpin on rear axle, numerous belt idlers, belts, bearings, tailings return flighting, bearings, and probably some other things I can't think of. It was an absolute nightmare from the moment I got it until I finally saw it leave the place (truly a highlight of my life). I took an absolute bloodbath on it financially, and I hope to never see another 1680 as long as I live.

Sorry this is so long, but hope this explains it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)