AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Network printer problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

guessrow
Posted 3/11/2009 22:07 (#640873)
Subject: Network printer problem

Le Sueur VIA St.Thomas
My work network has 3 computers (all XP) and 3 printers (All HP- 2 networked and 1 running off my computer) and a 10/100/1000 network switch. Occasionally, the networked printers will accept a print job but will not print. I can go to 'printers and faxes' and it says that the printer is printing, but nothing prints.

The problem seems to be related to how the long my computer has been running that day. In the morning, the print jobs usually go through and print. In the afternoon, it is more likely to happen. If I leave the computer on overnight, it is very likely that I will have this problem in the morning.

In the past, if the spooled print failed to print, I restarted the computer that was having the problem. It always prined the last failed print. Also, since it had been restarted, it would work well for a while. I have done lots of research on the net and someone suggested running net start spooler. I can now run 'net stop spooler' followed by 'net start spooler' after a failed print and the prints will go through. I also notice that the little printer icon that comes up while printing never goes away. It's like it's always trying to print, even though everything has already been printed and there is nothing in cue. I think that if I did this in the morning that I wouldn't have printing problems. (but this is not the solution I want)

I have similar issues with a laptop on the network. The third computer doesn't get enough use to troubleshoot.

Any thoughts? My research leads me to believe that HP and MS both get complaints like mine occasionally, but they tend to blame each other.

TIA -jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)