AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When will it end....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mitchco
Posted 11/1/2006 19:13 (#57172 - in reply to #56850)
Subject: Federal DOT says..........

SW OH
The federal DOT book says that farm equipment can be any length, width, weight, and height.

I was moving the combine down a narrow two lane road one night with plenty of lights when a mini van was coming at me stopped in his lane without getting over. There was a mailbox on my side that I had to use both lanes to get around. I didn't slow down and there was enough room to weave around the mailbox and the van. When I got close to the van the driver freaked out and put it the ditch. I had room to get around him. He ended up turning around, following me to where I was going and calling the cops. They showed up about an hour later and walked a long way across the field to talk to me. At first the cop was giving me a hard time. When I told him what happened he told me that the guy in the van just moved here from the big city and had never seen something so big on the road. The cop told me he understood my point of veiw and next time stop in the road and wait for "them" to get around me.

Another time I was moving the planter (6 row narrow) when I came to a bridge with guard rail on both sides. I was over the yellow line and several cars were coming at me. The first 3 passed me with no problem. The 4th one hit the marker with his mirror. I pulled over, he turned around and we talked about what happened. His arm was bleeding pretty good from the broken mirror glass. No damage to the planter. While we stood there talking he asked me if I had good insurance. When he said that I was pi$$ed. 3 other cars bigger than his passed with no problem, and I was half way across the bridge when the first car started on the other side. The cop ended up telling him he better take his broken mirror and deal with it or he would get a ticket. Mitchco
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)