AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Backup hardrive/storage recommendations
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

hapticz
Posted 3/3/2009 18:09 (#630505 - in reply to #630421)
Subject: Re: Backup hardrive/storage recommendations

most early dvd-r were 4.7gb, recent are 8.5 gb. on up to new 17gb. as u may expect, more means more expensive.
your existing dvd-r should be adequate. using the built in backup program supplied with Microsoft (and other systems) you make a one time first set of dvd discs that gets everything. subsequent follow up backups (on another separate disc) will save all the stuff that has changed since the last time you backed up. that way you DONT need to make duplicate backups of the same stuff every time.

do the backups like religion, never waiver, always keep to the schedule you choose. weekly, daily, monthly (depending on how much stuff changed usually)

external drives have plummetted in cost, 500Gb can run you less than 130 buks. use ebay or other auction site to compare prices.

i use the grandaddy of backup, tape. its cheap, reliable, and i got a deal on 5000 used tapes, so i figure i can hand this pile off to my kids when i die and they can continue... :-)) just kidding

realistically, dvd is by far the most cost effective way to go nowadays. and they are easily transportable to a safe haven for security needs.

buy a spindle of 50 dvd discs, far cheaper by the pound!

good luk!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)