AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"Age of farmers posting" update
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

co.drylandfarmer
Posted 3/3/2009 08:46 (#629977 - in reply to #628944)
Subject: Re: I guess we are selective

Carlton, CO
Good observations Don, my father in-law retired a few years back. I was the first to introduce him to GPS tecnology (in fact he put auto-steer on his sprayer before I did, but I was showing him my manual guidance system on mine and he went a step further). The comment he made to me that I want to refer to is, "If I was going to be farming much longer, I would install auto-steer on all my tractors". He referred to the many years of training new drivers to drive straight and not overlap. We farm dryland with 50-60 ft implements (conventional tilled ground) so overlap is a consideration. On the no-till ground the overlap or skipping is an expense to consider as well (chemical, fuel, etc.). As much as anything is the fatigue factor with all the operations, I'm spoiled.
Whether the expense increase's your profit must be determined on a individual basis. We have the hydraulic plumbing and electrical wiring installed on multiple tractors and sprayers, but we move the receiver/electronics with the operator. If it works and pays for itself on my operation doesn't mean that I think that it will work on everyone's, just my experience.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)