AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A little humor...since I have been married longer than most of you have been alive....read closely!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ron (Cen. IL.)
Posted 2/24/2009 17:09 (#621307 - in reply to #621223)
Subject: RE: Why do you say that?

Central Illinois
Sorry, you'll have to tell me what branch the ELCA is.

A friend used to complain that when he went to his sister's (Lutheran) church he couldn't take communion. (I believe he was Baptist.) I said: "I don't know why you're complaining to me, that's what we believe, that's the way it's always been, and you knew that when you walked in the door."

This is printed in our bulletin every Sunday that we have communion: AS A CONGREGATION OF THE LUTHERAN CHURCH MISSOURI-SYNOD WE AGREE TO HONOR WHAT GOD'S WORD DECLARES REGARDING THE LORD'S SUPPER. THEREFORE, OUT OF CONCERN FOR PROPER DISTRIBUTION AND BENEFICIAL RECEPTION, ONLY THOSE CONFIRMED MEMBERS OF LCMS CONGREGATIONS ARE COMMUNED AT ZION'S ALTAR, THIS IS NOT A JUDGEMENT ON THE FAITH OF FELLOW CHRISTIANS, BUT IS OBSERVED OUT OF LOVING CONCERN AND FAITHFULNESS TO GOD'S WORD.

The pastor also announces it just before the start of service.

Religion is probably a topic that can increase blood pressure more than politics. A former pastor from my church became one of the vice-presidents of our synod. About fifteen years ago, there was a difference of opinion about how the Bible should be interpreted. Should it be interpreted the way it always had been, or should it be given a "more modern" or "less-strict" interpretation? Emotion ran so high that death threats were made and our former pastor had an ARMED bodyguard while at the convention. I'm not sure how you can make a death threat and then sit in church on Sunday morning (or take communion, for that matter).

Edited by Ron (Cen. IL.) 2/24/2009 17:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)