AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Brookfield renewable power
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ernie
Posted 2/23/2009 23:57 (#620669 - in reply to #619807)
Subject: San Lutis Dam in Ca.

North End I-15
I taught across the Valley in Merced @ the time it was built. We picnicked @ the bottom of the storage side of dam just to say we did . I recall there were a whole series of interconnected earthen Dams built across the dry mountain range . A 320 acre holding pond in front of the base , Japanese generators in the house . Water from the Aqua duct was pumped up @ night for a long time to get enough to let flow out into the holding pond.
Water power is the only 100% ready on demand source there is . Gas and coal have a lag time between fire up and generation . water is nearly instantaneous. Open the valve and it's generating.
I see serious problems coming with wind generation . When the wind quits we need instantaneous back up for demand.
Being the Green movement has shut down Coal and most Gas fired new plants , Our cheap water based resource will be taken away from us to use as instant demand supply for wind failure generation. thus our now Cheap renewable source of power will be lost as a regular supply , to be replaced with triple cost +wind power .
For every new mega watt of wind we need a minimum of 20% of that in a instantaneous back up supply . Being no new dams are being built , coal is bad , Gas is expensive , The current users of water power will be forced to buy expensive wind power when available .
You read it here first folks :>)

Edited by Ernie 2/23/2009 23:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)