AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

air seeder cart position ? Front of behind?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 10/24/2006 20:32 (#54833 - in reply to #54831)
Subject: RE: air seeder cart position ? Front of behind?

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

I agree. If you are in an area where one or the other predominates, then there is usually a good reason for it. In my ground, if you use a TBT, you won't get the seed to come up in the cart tracks - ever, Once the ground is packed, nothing you can do will loosen it so a seed will germinate and grow. If you plant it in uncompacted soil, you can then pack it as hard as you want, and it grows just as good as if it only has a little packing.

Go 20 miles north of me and it is just the opposite. They can pack the ground and come behind with a sweep to tear it up and it leaves a perfect seed-bed. If they seed with a TBH, the only thing that grows in the cart tracks is pigeon grass. The ground crusts so bad in the cart track that wheat never makes it through.

Yet another case where a guy shouldn't make blanket recommendations or condemnations of a farming practice.

As far as power requirements; guys that farm in hilly stuff say that a TBT pulls easier than a TBH. I can't say as I've got more tractor than needed and no hilly stuff.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)