AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wifi From 1 house to Another
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

WildBuckwheat
Posted 8/3/2019 21:33 (#7651800 - in reply to #7573047)
Subject: RE: Wifi From 1 house to Another

Middlesex County, Ontario
I've done a couple wireless links and I've ran cable.

Nothing will ever beat a hardwired connection. I will always try for a hardwired connection first. Even if it requires hiring a trencher and ends up being more expensive.

That being said; either will work.

100 meters (328 feet) is the proper limit for cat5 cable. What I would do is just try cat5. I have a bulk box of cable and the tools to crimp connectors. I'd make a cable, run it over the lawn, and try it for a couple weeks. If it works then bury it. I'd try it for a couple weeks just to make sure its reliable. You can stick the cable 3" in the ground by making a slit with a shovel, but the roots will push the cable up eventually.

Do you happen to have a 120v outlet anywhere close to the middle of the run? You could make a box with a powered switch in it. Each cable plugged into the switch could be 328'. You could also stick a cheap wireless access point in the box and plug it into the switch for wifi in the yard.

Fiber is another option. Ethernet to fiber converters are about $40 (you'll need 2), plus the cost of fiber. I've never gone this route so can't offer any advice.

If you have the ability to bury plastic water pipe as a conduit, I would do that in a heartbeat. For cable or fiber.

If you want to do a wireless link, I would use 2 Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2. The Ubiquiti stuff is great quality. The local point to point wireless ISPs use it for their gear. I have a couple wireless links running using Ubiquiti gear. The Nanostation Loco M2 is well suited for your application, it is directional, has enough power, 2.4Ghz cuts through foliage a little better than 5Ghz, and they are about $50 USD a piece. They support PoE which is my preferred method of powering them. I have a couple mounted to satellite antenna mounts similar to this which works well together. You can configure these to be a wireless AP as well for wifi in the yard, but it doesn't work super well. These things are like wifi loudspeakers and your phone can only whisper, your phone can't have a 2 way conversation with the device if it is too far away, even though your phone hears clearly and shows full bars.

Edited by WildBuckwheat 8/3/2019 21:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)