AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Well I screwed up. Advice?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

50_shooter
Posted 6/12/2019 21:23 (#7555837)
Subject: Well I screwed up. Advice?

Had a couple of fields that didn’t get worked last fall. Waited and waited and they just wouldn’t dry. I wanted to plant corn in them, and time just kept ticking. Come June 1st, I am beside myself and decide to take matters in my own hands. Took quadtrac and cultivator out there and started working it. Had to have diff locks on through most of the fields. Got through it. Parts of the fields are black muck, that came up as 6” mud clods. Got anhydrous preplanted and worked it again. Still cloddy but I’ve seen worse. So I figured it needed a little air and I’d hit it again and plant it. Well the next day the 4th it got air alright. 90 degrees and 25 mph winds. I was losing moisture fast. I tried to hit it again and couldn’t even tell where I had been it dried so fast. I was worried about the clods and moisture so I set planter at 2.5 inches deep and planted it June 4 afternoon. Now it’s the 12th and I have a perfect stand on the lighter ground and basically nothing in the muck which is a considerable amount of acres. We missed every 70% chance of rain and seed is laying in dry clods. What would you do? Leave it and take what you get when it does rain, or tear it up in bad spots and plant a short maturity corn like 4” deep?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)