AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sukup bins and dryers and drags and legs oh my....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

FFJR
Posted 2/17/2009 23:00 (#613263 - in reply to #613073)
Subject: Your foundation is more critical then the bin...

nc IA
Local co-op put up a 75' a couple years ago... first time it was unloaded it had issues as I recall - believe a couple sheets buckled... ended up coming back and replaceing them I believe. Also I think 2 years back, somewhere in central Iowa there was a commercial bin, brand new just filled in a small town, the bolts started shearing off one night, ended up topling over and burying a house, took a few hours if I recall to get a couple people out of the house but I don't think anyone was killed luckily.

Been around the Sukup components for years with good luck, and heard guys with decent luck with the smaller bins from them, but those stories stick out as a bad taste.

All of the poet ethanol plants just put up bins back in fall 2007, they were all Behlen bins.... 95 to 100' diamaters, 2 to 3 at each plant, very surprising as to the quality, haven't heard of any troubles with them anywhere yet. Far cry from the old vertical seam behlens of past.

Whatever you end up with.... be SURE you have a GOOD foundation guy, I would rather have a lighter bin on a good foundation that I knew wasn't going to move / settle / be undermined etc. Bad foundations have ruined more bins then...

my 2cents
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)