AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

3D printers are amazing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WildBuckwheat
Posted 5/24/2019 19:53 (#7518871 - in reply to #7518476)
Subject: RE: 3D printers are amazing

Middlesex County, Ontario
The prints look great. What material is he using? I have found that PLA will not withstand the heat of vehicle interiors and eventually warps. I haven't found anything with good UV resistance either.

Here is a 3D printed EZ steer clone that I made as part of a group project during my engineering undergrad. We also 3D printed an enclosure for a raspberry Pi, Touchscreen, and other control electronics. There are a few short videos attached, The system was not GPS based, but vision based. A camera on the front of the tractor detected the solid seeded row of yellow corn plants and steered the tractor to stay on course. We had a different algorithm that followed real corn plants, but needed full size prototype videos in March, so we made due.

The EZ Steer was 3D printed for prototyping. It was designed to be machined out of aluminum plate, then redesigned for 3D printing, then printed. It worked fine for testing and proving out the electronics and control system, but would never hold up in real life. The motor was a generic 24 volt DC servo motor with an encoder on the backshaft. It ran fine on 12 volts and was pretty similar in torque and speed to a real EZ Steer. Motor was about the same size as a real EZ Steer.

We were maybe $300 in hardware costs, including the Pi, Touchscreen, motor drivers, servo, fancy spring loaded knob from McMaster Carr, etc.

Edited by WildBuckwheat 5/24/2019 20:17

(servo (full).png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments video-1535112118.mp4 (5633KB - 41 downloads)
Attachments video-1522699461.mp4 (2275KB - 18 downloads)
Attachments video-1522456590.mp4 (5816KB - 21 downloads)
Attachments servo (full).png (109KB - 19 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)