AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GM 6.5L diesel questions...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Farm, Inc.
Posted 5/23/2019 21:35 (#7516731)
Subject: GM 6.5L diesel questions...

The banks of Mosquito Creek, Dallas Co. IA
So, much to the chagrin of my wife, I acquired an acquaintance’s ‘94 Chevy 2500 that happened to be attached to a 6.5 diesel. I have a real soft spot for these trucks and had a couple ‘89’s and a ‘91 when I was growing up. They were 350 trucks though... I had always avoided the 6.5 but I really didn’t/don’t know a lot about them. This one seems to be attached to a pretty decent truck (for around here, anyway) and the price was pretty reasonable, so I thought it could be handy to have around for a spare. It has 227k on it.

Questions:

1. Best oil to run in it? Any particular filter that is preferred?

2. Best fuel filter?

3. Anything special about coolant? I use JD low silicate coolant in other diesels around here...

4. Oil pressure at cold idle is 40-50psi and will be around 60-65 at 2000 rpm. At warm idle, oil psi is closer to 15-20psi and 40-50 at 1500-2000 rpm running 180-190 degrees. I know those old gauges are definitely an approximation, but does that seem to be somewhat “normal”?

I appreciate any information that anyone would have and willing to share and especially would be grateful for any other items to watch out for. Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)