AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere AWS, (all-wheel-steer), mower opinions.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Iowa_STO
Posted 5/22/2019 08:58 (#7512467 - in reply to #7511353)
Subject: RE: John Deere AWS, (all-wheel-steer), mower opinions.

southern IA
I've got one. Remmy hit alot of the main points

Make sure the cam gear has been updated to the steel version.

The steering linkages are prone to wear and are expensive to buy from Deere. I just rebuilt mine using heim joints and it really improved the drivability. Also check the steering column. If its loose it can be a job to fix it. Not overly difficult, just alot of parts to take off to get to what needs fixing.

The electronics on it can be picky at times. The ignition module/board went out on mine and it took some doing to get it tracked down to the problem and get it fixed. The previous owners "farmer engineering" didn't help matters any. Finally got it all sorted out and it starts fine now. Don't let it sit out in the rain or the fuel gauge will cease to work. The gauge clusters weren't sealed the best.

As for power my 425 with a 60" deck has been a decent match even in long wet grass. I have more trouble with the deck getting all the clippings out in super heavy stuff than I do with HP. The heavy stuff I'm talking about would be a load for almost any mower. Wish I could put a 7 iron deck under it though.

The mower deck doesn't raise very high and it does kinda suck because of the smaller tires. You can upgrade from the 23" tires that come on it to 26" tires and get some additional deck clearance. To do that you have to change the front tires too and have a 3/8" spacer made for the rear wheels. Not overly difficult to do really. I'm in the process of doing that myself as my old tires were shot.

Overall they're really good mowers that can last a long time if they're taken care of. Mine is north of 2000 hrs and still starts right up each spring after sitting all winter. Dad has a grasshopper mower that I borrow on occasion, but the two of us bought a big pull behind grass bagger and originally put it on the grasshopper only to find out that it just flat out didn't work with out front mower decks (so long and heavy that the tail wags the dog). That was when I came across my 425 and its been a great match for the bagger.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)